Thursday, November 29, 2012

Attitude of Gratitude

Thanksgiving could not have been better if I tried. I had my hubby and my four kids all safe, healthy, and together ready to celebrate a holiday at home. We have usually packed up the car, the dogs, and all the personal stuff four kids require and gone to a relatives house with us staying in two hotel rooms.

As this year wraps up I just wanted to stay home. Earlier this year, my daughter's apartment was robbed of only her Mac, my 17 year old is away from home attending New York Film Academy and he braved Hurricane Sandy unscathed. What I have learned from these two events is that prayer certainly works. My son's housing complex remained intact and untouched by the devastation around him. The unsavory neighbors in my daughter's building have been evicted. Prayer works people.

The hubby and I were set to visit NYC the week after Thanksgiving so I did not insist that my son come home for the holidays since it was a first for us anyway. On the night before Thanksgiving I was expecting my daughter after work. She arrived about 11 pm and I was prepared to kiss her hello and leave her to sleep in her old room. But following behind her to give me a kiss hello as well was my son. My husband surprised me by flying him home for the holiday. I usually hate surprises but I am beginning to rethink that position.

Putting my arms around my son and kissing his face was more than enough to be thankful for. Christmas at the Williams-Nelson home had come early. We stayed up all night talking and laughing. The heartbreak one feels when sending your kids off into the wide world is forgotten completely with the joy that comes from them coming home or better still wanting to come home.

I am thankful that the roots and wings I gave them are still firmly in tact. I am more than thankful when they talk amongst themselves and I hear kind words about me. Needless to say, I made everyone's favorite side dishes and 3 pies to go along with our cornish hens.

We ate dinner at about 7 o'clock and played board games all night. We laughed until we cried, fell out on the floor, and some of us peed our pants.

I am rounding out the year with an Attitude of Gratitude for the people in my life who matter the most, the comforts that make taking care of my family still a joy, and the health and safety of us all.

God is very real and prayer works wonders for my bratty disposition.

Take care of you,
Mogul Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment