Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Detours Along The Way Can Be Great!

     There really are no wrong turns in life. You may be thinking I am off on this one, but hear me out. Every detour or misstep in life provides us with an opportunity for learning and growth. You may be wondering,"Why do I have to have all these growth opportunities?" It is because you have reached out to your higher source either consciously or unconsciously on a regular basis asking for something better to come into your life in some area of your life. A benevolent God loves you too much to give you something you won't be able to handle.

     Trust me, I have learned time and again that giving someone a gift they are not able to handle is no gift at all. I took friends and family on a major shopping trip to the Mall of America once. I handed out gift cards to everyone according to what I thought was fair and reasonable, and in accordance with my budget for the trip. Not everyone was happy with this gift. No one had to pay for their food, travel, or lodging in addition to the gift cards and yet somehow fault was found. I have not allowed my missteps in giving to stop me from being generous. What I have learned from these wrong turns is to become a better, more informed giver. The wisdom garnered from that small gift experience saved me from making a mistake in giving a bigger gift to a charitable organization. I learned to do better research, to have a longer observation period, and I learned to see how they handled a small amount before committing to a bigger amount; it has saved me quite a bit in wasted generosity. 

     The detours, setbacks, and misgivings that you are experiencing are certainly frustrating to say the least. But like a kid counting down the days until Christmas, you have to wait with a good attitude and learn to enjoy the anticipation as well. Your destination has not moved. It is waiting on you just like you are faithfully waiting to get to it. However, there is knowledge that you'll pick up along the way that will make the journey's end a better and more lasting experience.

     Here are some movies to watch that will bring home my points and keep you entertained along the way: 

Seven Pounds starring Will Smith will teach you to be selective about whom you give your gifts.

I Can Do Bad All by Myself starring Taraji P. Henson will teach you never to settle out of impatience.

Under the Tucson Sun starring Diane Lane will teach you to embrace your missteps and detours. You may end up somewhere better than you originally planned. 

Take care of you,
Movie Coach Joe.

4 comments:

  1. I'm in love with this advice! You illustrate it perfectly with your experience in generosity. Observe. Learn. Act. The ratio of opportunities that harm to those that heal and grow in this life fluctuate with your perspective. The odds can be in your favor! *bows to my sensei* ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I don't understand how some ppl can be so ungrateful! But yes, don't stop being who you are just choose wiser next time. That's what I got out if that !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Cory for your continued support.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kathy,

    Oprah summed it up for me some time after I learned my lessons on my OWN. She said the rule to giving is that you can only give someone a gift that is on their level. I have been giving gifts to people from my level instead if theirs. She said never give someone an amount they have never earned on their OWN because they won't be able to handle it.

    Also nothing beats giving anonymously.

    Take care of you.

    ReplyDelete